About Ørnbjerg Mill: In Denmark most of the water mills were more or less identical to around 1750; a water wheel to every grinder, driven from below by a gear change.However, between 1750 and 1850 all large mills, wind as well as water, were equipped with a new machinery; grub or stone. It required a three times higher speed as the grinder, and therefore demanded one to two extra gear changes, which gave the meal grinder an increase in speed and thereby a considerable increase in the grinding capacity. In the north-east part of Jutland they chose to continue to pull the grinder from below. As a consequence these watermills, and among these the Ørnbjerg Mill, had a smaller building.
Ørnbjerg Mill got there grub permission late; 1833 and this is probably the explanation why they have laid the grub down below the floor in the lowest part of the mill. At this point the grub has been on the Danish market for 80 years. The peripheral speed of the stone is about 45 miles per hour and many accidents with broken grub stones had frightened our millers to banish the tons of heavy stone to a safer place, Ørnbjerg Mill turned into a sad story. In 1946 a turbine was installed, and most of the old contour of the mill was destroyed. In 1960, with Dir. Stenz’ acquisition of the mill; one tried to put the pieces together again. Miraculously most of the old wheels had survived, and they actually managed to get an intact water mill out of the remaining parts – for the re-opening on November 10, 1971. The last “real” mill person was Anders, about whom stories from his work at the mill are told.
|01/01/2015 - 31/12/2030||Monday - Sunday|