The earliest mention of the city of Præstø is around 1300, when there was probably also a church in the city.
In the first half of the 1400s, construction of a church tower began. The rest of the old church was in very poor condition, and in about the middle of the 1400s work began on a brand-new building – today, the northern part of Præstø Kirke.
The first part to be built was the chancel, with its peculiar pentagonal end.
Præstø Kirke is open to visitors from 10:00-16:00. It is open daily during the summer and only on weekdays during the winter.