Munkenes Teglovn (The Blackfriar Kiln)
The Foundation of Vejle's Medieval History. Here, in the 13th century, the Blackfriar monks of Vejle produced bricks. Perhaps it was also here that the stones for Sct. Nicolai Church were made, already in the first half of the 12th century.
Around 1310, a Dominican monastery was founded in Vejle. The monastery's initial buildings were of wood, but by 1355, there were plans to build a monastery church of bricks, approximately where the town hall stands today. The brick kiln might have been established to produce stones for the new church.
In 1923, the brick kiln was rediscovered and excavated by the National Museum. Under the leadership of the famous folklore collector Evald Tang Kristensen, the citizens of Vejle raised funds to construct a protective building over the ruins.
Over time, there have been three brick kilns at this location. The remains of the third and smallest kiln can still be seen.
The brick kiln is closed during the winter months to protect it from frost.